CCS Strategic Plan
With a history dating back to 1969, Center for Community Solutions (CCS) is a leading healthy relationship, sexual assault, and domestic violence organization. CCS’ mission is to end relationship and sexual violence by being a catalyst for caring communities and social justice. The organization accomplishes this mission by providing comprehensive services that include prevention programs focused on healthy relationships, a 24-hour bilingual crisis hotline, counseling services, emergency shelters and transitional housing, legal support and advocacy.
In the summer of 2015, CCS’ Board of Directors and leadership initiated a strategic planning process aimed at developing a shared 5-year strategic vision for the organization and 3-year roadmap with clear goals for how to reach the vision. CCS’ strategic planning process was facilitated by NP Strategies and included gathering input from external stakeholders as well as CCS’ Board of Directors and staff. Based on this input gathering, several key themes emerged:
- CCS fulfills a true market need and is the leader in sexual assault and relationship violence in the San Diego region
- While CCS is well-recognized and respected by those working in the field, the organization is not as well-known as it should be (often referred to as a “best kept secret”)
- There is an opportunity to increase visibility for the cause (healthy relationships, sexual assault, domestic violence) and CCS, with a focus on prevention
- CCS’ history of restricted funding has been a limiting factor—moving forward CCS must increase its revenue (with a priority on unrestricted revenue) and its ability to invest in the organization
- Raising awareness for the cause and for CCS will better position CCS as a sector leader and expert, enabling it to increase support for its work and, ultimately, increase its impact and its capacity to meet community needs
As part of its strategic planning process, CCS affirmed its core focus as healthy relationships, sexual assault and domestic violence. Prior to the strategic planning process, the organization also developed and initiated internal training on core competencies that weave through all of CCS’ work:
CCS’ 5-Year Strategic Vision
With the ultimate goal of significantly reducing and, ultimately, ending relationship and sexual violence, CCS’ vision includes four interrelated components: broadening who CCS serves, engaging the broader public in the cause, increasing revenue to be able to invest in the organization and its impact, and strengthening the current organization and capacity.
To work toward this vision for the organization, the Board and staff are focusing on six major goals over the next three years:
Enhancing Board Development and Fundraising
Strengthening the Current Organization by Investing in Staff
Strengthening Services in Support of CCS’ Role as SA/DV/Healthy Relationship Leader
Elevating CCS’ visibility as SA/DV/Healthy Relationship Leader/Expert through Investment in Public Relations, Marketing, and Community Outreach
Developing Organizational Infrastructure and Systems
Further Evaluating and Pursuing Fee-based Service Models
The CCS team developed an operational plan for executing each of the six major goals. Implementing this strategic plan will take resources and the collective effort of Board, staff, supporters and the community. With the right support, CCS will build upon its stability in the community and enter its next stage of development even stronger and able to increase its impact and meet community needs.